Installing/Upgrading Nokia Ovi Maps on my Nokia 5230, and then downloading India Maps data on it was not an easy job. This deserves a DIY post.
I believe this installation process would atleast help Nokia 5230, 5530, 5800 XpressMusic users, maybe others too.
Before we begin, the pre-requisites for this are:
- Microsoft .NET 3.0 framework or higher must be installed on your computer
- Nokia PC Suite must be installed
- Data Cable (needless to say here, but you’d need that) for your Nokia model
A lot of readers would tell me that the process I mention below is longer, and I could have done the updates via the Nokia Ovi Suite instead (which I did try to do, but the India map data would never download properly, even after 5-6 attempts).
So here’s are the two applications you need to download, and everything shall be fine:
- Nokia Maps Updater – Download this to install latest version of Nokia Maps on your phone
- Nokia Maps Loader – This one is critical to download the Map data for your country on your Nokia phone (the advantage is that you’d use less of your data bandwidth while using GPS now, as the map data would already be on your phone)
Once you are done installing the above applications, do this:
- Run Nokia Maps Updater, connect your phone to the computer, download the latest version of Ovi Maps. Let it sync and install on your phone.
- Keep the phone connected, now Run Nokia Maps Loader, Select your country and click on download maps. It’ll download map data from the web onto your computer and then sync it up on your phone.
Only disadvantage is that your phone needs to be connected all the time, and it screws up when you get a call in between the updates! Hope this posting is of help.